Saturday, February 26, 2011

What is success?




This question has been a lot in my mind lately. I haven't really been thinking about success, rather my values. But in the end, it all comes to success.

What is success?

A few years ago it was clear: I have to study something useful that guaranties a safe life and revenue, finish my studies with excellent grades, find a good job corresponding to my studies, learn new languages, acquire international work experience, find a nice apartment, settle down. Plus, I have to look good, follow the latest trends, take care of my health and be in an excellent shape.

Nevertheless, last year many of those things lost their meaning. I got an opportunity to go again for a student exchange. I was offered an appreciated internship. I could have worked last summer and earn extra marks in my CV. 

I said no.

This was all very confusing. Why to refuse an excellent opportunity?

Finally, I know the answer. I said no, because it wasn't an excellent opportunity for me anymore. It was that for someone else. For a long time, I have been mostly driven by external values and directed by the ego: what does the society expect from me? What is socially acceptable? What is the most logic direction to take?

At the same time, magazines talk about young career people who consider taking care of their children a huge burden. Like they had to give up on something more important in their lives. Also, parents put they children in special schools earlier and earlier to make sure they start building a successful life as early as possible. To make sure they enter the best universities. Maximise their potential.

Again, what is success?

Isn't it taking care of your own children and watch them growing up a great gift? 
Isn't it important that children can live a careless childhood without pressure and find their own purpose?

Last year I had a feeling something was missing. But the answer was there all the time.

For me success is listening to my heart and intuition, what ever it tells me to do. And do it. Live for my purpose. Success is being able to live happily in this moment. To appreciate the things in my life now.

Success is to find that inner peace. Balance between you and the others. You might have to give up on your career, salary, basic safety and make difficult choices to find something that truly serves your inner purpose and values. But In the end, I believe, it will all come back to you.

























No comments:

Post a Comment