Sunday, February 13, 2011

About priorities

Just one example why it is so important to fix some priorities and keep them in mind all the time.

Last year I decided to switch from fulltime working back to fulltime studying. First of all, my timetable changed totally. There was no longer regular early mornings and 8 hour days, but lessons there and there and lots of free time I had to use "efficiently" in studying. In other words, my life became much less organised from outside and I had to manage time by myself. At the same time, my revenues dropped from decent salary on the level of a student grant.

The new irregular life style turned out to be quite challenging to manage and before even noticing I had turned to a control freak: I started to have thoughts such as "I am irresponsible living like this just studying and spending, I must earn some money, I cannot go broke, that would be the end of the world". That time I didn't yet understand why the belgian students didn't study and work at the same time as we do in Finland.

So I started working as a conference assistant. Everytime I had some freetime, I booked a few hours of work. First I was quite happy I was actually doing something "useful", not just staying at home and studying.

Nevertheless, it became clear very soon that I had underestimated the workload in the university: the school stuff started to accumulate in my mind, not even talking about my personal life. I was doing so many things at the same time but nothing really well. I became moody, stressed and nervous as my freetime had shrinked tremendously. Finally it was my boyfriend's comment that brought me back to reality: I had neglegted studying in order to do a stupid student work! I was so worried about being broke and "irresponsible" that I actually forgot my first priority: finish the studies in order to get a real job. This way, I would never finish and get a real job.


I had started to think short term and forgot my long term priorities. Instead of being efficient I was multitasking things that would not bring me any closer to the most important thing.


So, I had to ask myself what was really important and trust on life a bit. I took a loan and decided not to worry about being broke. Be less hard for myself. Just do one thing at once. I actually never questioned my own thoughts, but were telling myself I MUST do this and I MUST do that. I must never take a student loan. Hello, what are those loans for?

Now I have learned to enjoy those lazy mornings, careless afternoons and manage my time as I know there is only one thing I have to concentrate on. So what if I was broke, health is so much more important and I have all the time to work after I graduate.


For many people, this kind of issue would not be a problem like it was for me. We all have our own challenges. Sometimes, it is just good to think about WHY we actually do things and what is really necessary.




No comments:

Post a Comment