Wednesday, July 27, 2011

No more excuses

I just read the book from Wayne Dyer called "Excuses begone". Its a book listing all the "excuses" that keep us making our dreams become true. And then, overturns them all. Scary isn't it!

We all have dreams that have come true and dreams that didn't come true. At least not yet. I have noticed that certain BUTs are often prohibiting me to take the necessary steps to realize something: I want to start painting and drawing again, BUT I am too old. I should have been practising since I was a teenager. I cannot become enough good at it anymore. OR I cannot go travelling to Asia, I don't have enough money. OR I cannot start that degree, I would be already 35 when I graduate!

The most common excuses according to the author are:
I cannot afford it
It is too difficult
My family/friends would be shocked
It will take too long time
I am too busy

And all these just simply aren't true. For example: how old would I be in 5 years if I didn't start that degree? That's right, exactly the same as if I did start it.

The most difficult one for me has always been: "I cannot afford it". But the book suggests, that when we follow our dreams with courage and believe with all our instincts that the money will appear- it will appear. Gratefulness about everything we have now is also important. If I am going to think about "I don't have money" constantly, probably I won't.

I decided to try this in practise. Before I went to Finland on holiday I was thinking: I cannot spend any extra money, I need to save as I don't have a job yet. But then I decided to change: these are my only holidays before the long working days in the near future, I want to enjoy. And I did. I went to festivals, restorants, travelled etc. Before I left back, my parents organized me a surprise birthday/graduation party, and surprisingly, the money came back.

In life you never know, but I think I should trust the life itself much more. Things will be fine. This doesn't mean I should not be taking responsibility, but making sure I do things that make me happy. Because if I don't I do get frustrated and so do the people around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment