Saturday, January 19, 2013

How to be grateful everyday?


I noticed we enjoy our time more when we know it is limited. 

For example: I come home to Finland for Christmas. I forget all the possible disagreements with my mum, giggle and joke with my brother and meet my old friends. Or, another example: I go for a short holiday and concentrate on all the good things about that country, relax and do all the exciting things I can possibly do in the time frame of my holiday.

My question is, why cannot we enjoy every day like this?

I do not mean we should forget about daily work and commitments. But often, it is easy to make up excuses, argue, procrastinate, complain or simply worry about the future or constantly think about work and stress. Last couple of weeks I was so worried and stressed about finding a job that I forgot to do fun things that actually give me energy, such as reading, going out, traveling and meeting people. Instead, I was putting my health and relationships at risk.

Why do we appreciate our time more when we know it is limited? Because we know the time is rare, unusual and therefore special. What if everyday was special? It is up to you!

How to be more grateful everyday:

1. Be conscious of all the things in your life you might be taking for granted, but which are actually the basis of your happiness: health, home, job and some extra money.

2. Every minute you are angry you lose 60 seconds of happiness. Really, you can start being happy NOW.

3. Keep a booklet next to your bed and write down every night at least 5 reasons your are grateful in your life. Sometimes, you might simply be happy this day is over and tomorrow is a new day.

4. Give good energy to people around you everyday: compliment your colleague, give your seat to others in a bus, hug your friend or partner. Tell people how much you like them and what you appreciate in them.

5. Fake it until you become it: it is scientifically proven that people who fake smile for 20 seconds, start feeling happier. Be aware of your body language and negative thoughts.


Seuraa blogiani Bloglovinin avulla

No comments:

Post a Comment