Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Being present- or somewhere else?

How many times have I returned back home because I am not sure if I closed the door, put the stove or the iron machine off? Countless. Well, majority of the cases I returned for nothing, I just wasn't conscious when I was closing to door etc. But if the iron machine is accidentally left on for even once, that is truly dangerous. That's why being consious of our actions is crucial. And things could be so much easier and I would save time if I didn't have to return every single time to check something.

Zen habits  mentions some usefull tips for being present, like mindfulness and meditation. Practising regurlarly is very important. I started meditating last year, but I have noticed that I really need to do it every day to see some results. Since I have time now, I have been practising it every morning. Still, I often wake up in the middle of my breakfast realizing I had been thinking something else and not concentrating on the delicious thing I was eating. Or I was reading a book and suddenly realized I didn't remember a thing of what I was reading as my thoughts were wandering somewhere else. 


But I know this really works. I worry and panic much less than before. Breathing calmly in stressful situations has unbelivably strong effect on performance. Perhaps even on our health in the long term- and this motivates me to practise more, even though I am probably one of the most impatient meditators.


Tomorrow morning, porrige and coffee with full presence please( would be so much easier with a chocolate cake though).
 


No comments:

Post a Comment